LIVE AND WORK LONDON
- Guaranteed Job in London months before departure
- Traveller Employment Contract - two-week notice period, unique and exclusive for our applicants
- Room in a Shared House in London Zones 2 or 3
- Travel Rental Agreement – a two-week minimum lease contract, unique and exclusive for our applicants
- 24-months ongoing job & accommodation placements - flexibility to travel whenever you like, as often as you please, and always come back to a room and work!
- 24-months ongoing support from our London office
- Minimum hour guarantees policy from The Working Holiday Club™
- £50 a day job guarantee insurance, in case of a delay
- UK Bank Account
- National Insurance Number Assistance
- Free International Money Transfer
- Pay-as-you-go SIM Card
- Arrival Info, Parties & City Walking Tours
- Discounted hostel bookings at Generator London
- Free Pub Crawl
- Roommate Matching Service – matching new arrivals together as good housemates
- Room Share Service – accommodate friends and couples travelling together
- Pre-departure Skype calls from our London office to ensure your booking and application is complete
- Door-to-door airport booking service
- Employment workshops for agency work
- Discounted entry to popular night clubs & pubs
- Weekly social event invites to meet new travel buddies, plus free Busabout giveaway prizes
- Mail holding & luggage storage
- UK tax return assistance – claim the price of package back
- Invites to regular organised Europe weekend breaks
Pre-departure job offer
You will have the option to work as an outdoor events member or an indoor events member, or both!
Music Events & Film Stage Crew
- Location: London
- What will I be doing: One day you will be unloading a truck outside a hotel, the next putting covering on a race course, the next helping the lights, sound, set departments set up for a concert or festival.
- Type of events: Corporate events, television, theatre and festival business
- Rate of Pay: £10.00 per hour
- Shift length: 4 - 12 hours per shift
- No grooming policies apply
- Manual labour, some may find physically demanding
Hotel Event Crew
- Location: London
- What will I be doing: You will do a variety of jobs to ensure the event runs smoothly. You will be asked to help with bar and table service of food and beverages, event set-up and pack-down, cloakroom, after parties and more.
- Type of events: Corporate, celebrity, weddings, television and more...
- Rate of Pay: £8 per hour (including holiday pay)
- Shift length: 8 - 12 hours per shift
- Grooming policy applies
How Does it Work?
At the end of your first week and after you have set up all your paperwork with our team in London; you will attend your job induction.
Along with 15-20 other Aussies and Kiwis arriving on the Jumpstart you will be fully trained and learn everything there is to know about your new role, ready to start your first shift the following week.
During your first 3 weeks of employment you will have the opportunity to work a shift at each of our 17 different venues and hotel partners. We partner with top five star hotels in zone one of central London, being Bond Street, Regent, Picadilly Circus; such as the Savoy the Dorchester, the Ritz Carlton and many more. You will be working high end events such as London Fashion Week, Movie Premiers, Product Launches, Extravagant Weddings, and many more Corporate Functions.
After this period you will have an opportunity to choose your 5 preferred Hotels and from here on out we will allocate you shifts at only these venues.
Please be aware, that we have a great working relationship with these hotels and have been in partnership since 2004. They will not tolerate tardiness such as turning up to work late, hungover or drunk, and you must present yourself clean and well-kept for every shift. We understand that you are in a new city and may get lost once but they will strictly operate to a three strike policy whereby; the first time round you will get a stern warning, second time round pay will be deducted, and third time round you will no longer be offered employment.
Through the Jumpstart London Program we encourage you to travel as much as possible and give you the freedom to do so as often as you like, year round. If you are planning on travelling to Europe or beyond, just give our UK Team as much notice as possible so we can assist you in booking shifts up until the day you leave, and from whenever you wish to return.
Some facts about working in London and seasonal trends
There are three seasons to look at when planning when to arrive in London. The period separating seasons are mainstream holiday periods; Christmas, Easter and Summer break. Therefore you will want to arrive in London at the end of a holiday period, hence the start of one of the following working seasons;
- Mid-January to Mid-March (9 weeks between holiday break)
- Mid-April to End-July (13 weeks between holiday break)
- September to Mid-December (15 weeks between holiday break)
The AccommodationWhen you join the Jumpstart London™ we will guarantee you a room in one of our Shared Houses. You will have the option of staying in a single, shared, or double room. Our houses are in Zones 2,3 and 4 of East, West, and South-West London and are about 25-35 minutes commute from central London.Weekly Rentals Start From:
Houses come fully furnished and fitted, and on all our properties your weekly rent includes all your bills (being electricty, water, gas etc.), and on most your wifi and sky TV access too.
£85 per week all bills included (shared room) * Great for friends, solo travellers and budget-conscious travellers
£100 per week all bills included (single room)
£160 per week all bills included (double) * Great for couples
*Some properties may incur a weekly cleaning fee of £5.00On arrival in London, you will have an opportunity to go around and view the accommodations available at the time. To give you an idea of what to expect, here is a photo gallery of some of our properties;Real Life Gallery (Slow download due to large image files)No lock in Contracts or Long Term Leases!Throughout the UK and certainly in London, rental agencies will require you to sign a 6-month minimum lease on a room or a property. This can be very restrictive when every second week you want to be off travelling Europe with new people you meet!
They will also ask for you to put down a months worth of rent as a deposit, and the first months rent upfront, so all your savings are already gone.
Here at the Working Holiday Club, we know what it is like to be living overseas with a constant urge to travel.
That is why we designed our Jumpstart London program with the flexibility to travel as often as you like, and whenever you please.
On arrival we will require you to sign only a two week or a four week lease, and put down two weeks deposit and you may live in our accommodation indefinitely. If you are planning on travelling, just give our UK team as much notice as possible (the latest being two weeks before departure and two weeks before returning), and we will always make sure you have a room available to come back to.
It's that simple, so you can travel rent free!
You can do this as often as you like throughout the entire duration of your 2 year UK working visa, at no extra cost.*Please allow up to 5 days from when you first get into London for us to place you. In the mean time, we will get you a great discount with our friendly partners at Generator Hostel.Top Reasons Why This Is Good- Travel Rent Free
- Travel as often as you like, whenever you please for the entire duration of your 2 year visa
- Cheap Rent
- No huge upfront costs
- Meet great people or live with your travel friends and/or partners- No long term leases or lock it contracts
- Not liable to covering rent of other rooms if house mates move out- No obligation to stay or pay rent if you move somewhere else or find another house to live in- Offset your rent costs against your income tax, as the rental contracts are classed as temporary accommodationDo your own research, you will not find a better deal or program like this in London!
ReviewsMost negative reviews posted about shared accommodation in London are usually posted by new arrivals experiencing culture shock. We like to be completely transparent with you when providing information on accommodation so there are no suprises when you get there. Please ask us about any queries you may have regarding our properties and rooms.
Please keep in mind that London is an old city. Most houses and flats were built long before those in Australia or New Zealand. Shared house living is not glamorous but is very cheap and sociable. Your new housemates might not be as clean or tidy as mum and dad but they will probably be a lot more fun!Important update: Right to rent in the UKRight to rent: The Working Holiday Club™ will ensure all your documents are filled out correctly to ensure you pass the Right to Rent check
How Does It Work?The Jumpstart London program is a working holiday concierge service for travellers!This package will help travellers set up everything they need before arriving in London. You are paying The working Holiday club™ a fee to do the hard yards for you and to make use of our network of trusted partners who offer guarantees for you.Most importantly you are service for 24 months; you will never need jobs or place to stay when you work with us, guaranteedHow doest it work?
- We accept 15-20 new arrivals each week
- When you arrive, you will take the spot another who has just left for travel or returned home
- When you go travelling your room becomes available to someone else
- When you return from your travels, you will take the place of another who has left for travel
- The Jumpstart London™ concierge service will manage this for you, its that simple
- All you need to do is log into our admin site during your travels to update us on when you need your shift to start again and book another room - repeat for 24 months
- No extra fees are ver charged
Why purchase the Jumpstart London Program?
- Cheapest house share in central London (for travellers) - £85 per week all bills included
- Great ongoing jobs for travel jobs available to use for you for 24 months
- £7.50 - £15.00 per hour (holiday pay on top)
- up to 70 hours per week available, you can work as much or as little as you need
- You can leave the job and keep your room, and the other way round
- You can travel when you want and for as long as like
- Live and work with 1000's of backpackers from all over the world! Now that's fun
Who is this package right for?
- The objective of the Jumpstart London program is to get you established in London in the shortest amount of time.
- That means getting you; into a house as soon as possible so that you can get your UK bank account, so you can start work and be earning pounds…!
- Immediate cash flow with jobs and room set up before you leave
- Bank account opened to get your wages and pay your rent
- Security for 24 months
The Gap Year Student – This pack is perfect for a gap year student or a school leaver with limited or no work experience. Full training is provided with ongoing support to help you enter the workforce and generate work experience for your CV, helping you to edge forward in future career opportunities
The Frequent Traveller – This pack is an excellent assistance package for the regular traveller. Frequent travellers often experience cash flow problems after they have returned to London. The Jumpstart London™ package offers the regular traveller 24 months of uninterrupted employment and shared accommodation. You simply cannot go wrong
The Cash-Strapped Traveller – This pack is an excellent assistance package for the cash-strapped traveller. When you join the Jumpstart London™ programme, you have immediate cash flow on arrival and affordable accommodation which you can rent, with only a small deposits to get you started. So if you are arriving with limited funds, use the Jumpstart London™ to ensure you keep your funds for travelling. If you would prefer to have no expenses at all check out the Adventure Resort Pack.
The Career Break – The career break applicant is potentially the largest in the funnel of our applicants, as it is an excellent opportunity to take a break from your ordinary life and experience Europe for as little as £60
Please note: Wage published for our London have recently updated (April 2, 2017) Outdated wage stats may still appear instore or online. Salaries and regulations change regularly. However, emails you receive from us before to any payments made will always reflect the updated information.
- Make an online enquiry
- Receive your info pack
- Schedule an appointment for a screening interview
- Pay $300 deposit to secure your spot on the program
- Agree balance payment plan option that best suits you
- Complete our online application for your jobs guarantee
- Receive a Skype interview
- On acceptance you will receive your job guarantee contracts for London
- On rejection, you will receive a refund (excluding the $300 deposit payment)
- Complete arrival booking form to secure you room
- Three weeks before your departure date pay your room security deposit
How Much Money Do I Need?
Here is a complete cost breakdown for you
Your Working Visa Cost
- £245 biometric card
- £300 two years health cover
- Payable to Brish High Commission
- Payable six-eight week before your departure date
- Proof of fund required £1850 six-eight week before your departure date
- If you would like us to do your visa for you, our team charges an extra $245 (this is not essential, but recommended)
- Budget for $1000 one way ticket
- Go to Student Flights for layby deal
Your Jumpstart London Program Cost
- Total cost $845
- $300 deposit to secure your spot
- Pay weekly/monthly instalments for the balance
Your Pre-Departure Cost
- Five nights Hostel average on £11 a night, you will receive our corporate discount code to book hostel sat net rate (Generator London)
- £200 security deposit for your room (fully refundable)
Your On-Arriva Cost
- Uniforms for hotel work £60
- Bedding for your room £20
About travel insurance
As part of your, the UK works visa fees payable to the Brish hight Commission you will receive two years full health cover. This cost includes doctors hospitals and dentist including medicine bills.
We recommend that you take travel insurance to cover you goods, flights and most importantly you should make cancellation insurance policy. Please note, we do not offer refunds for change of plans, make sure you cover yourself in the case of an emergency and you cannot travel. If you have started with us nd you have not been abe travel we will place your program on hold indefinitely.
Changes to UK Banking Policy 2017Here is an official email we received from the bank todayAs of February 2017 these rules applyDocuments that we can use as evidence of UK address:
*NIN letter and employer letter must MATCH IN FULL in their recipient name and address or they will not be valid. Furthermore, the employer letter must confirm: The employment start date, The customer is employed by the company issuing the letter, Include the customer’s full name and residential address, Be dated within one calendar month, Be signed by a company representative, Must be on company headed paper.Please make sure you let all your customers booked after the 19th of February know about the changes in the bank's policy.
- UK full/provisional drivers license
- Utility Bill (Water, gas, electricity or landline)
- UK Bank statements
- UK Credit card statements
- National Insurance number Letter + Employer letter*
- Council Tax Bill
- Tenancy agreement issued by a solicitor, housing association, local council or reputable high street estate agent/ letting agent
- Solicitors Correspondence
Personal Banking Advisor - Ealing Branch - Middlesex Group
Guarantees & References
What Guarantees Do You Get When You Sign Up For Our UK Working Holiday Jumpstart London Pack?
- You a job offer before you leave or your money back
- You a minimum of 30-70 hours a week employment contract or your money back
- You a 100% refund if you do receive a pre-departure offer
Our Glasshouse Policy:
- We will provide you with all the information about our programme before a fee is payable
- We will publish in our employer profile page the rate of pay & cost of accommodation so that you know what you are getting
- We will provide all the details we discussed with you by phone in writing after your consultation call
- We can refer you to a Flight Centre store anywhere in Austalia and New Zealand for you to purchase our packages in a face-to-face environment if required for extra piece of mind
Industry References So You Know You're In Safe Hands
Whistler Blackcomb Reference:
We have partnered with TWHC for ten years now. We have worked with a few agencies over the years and now use TWHC exclusively. With honest two-way communication, the team understands our business & consistently delivers top candidates for us to meet. Extremely organised & efficient, our time is always well spent & this has proven to be the most effective way to recruit great people. The team are true professionals & I would recommend them to anyone.
Silver Star Reference:
Silver Star have been working with The Working Holiday Club for many years now to assist us with our hiring. It is a challenge for any company to recruit large numbers of employees season after season, however, with the assistance of The Working Holiday Club we can fill these positions with a professional, reliable, engaged employee team. We feel that The Working Holiday Club are industry leaders in recruiting employees within the ski industry. The team at The Working Holiday Club understand the needs of each resort that they partner with, offering an honest service to both employer and employee. I would have no hesitation in recommending The Working Holiday Club as a friendly, welcoming and trustworthy company to work with.
Flight Centre Group Plc Reference:
This email is to acknowledge that Flight Centre Travel Group and The Working Holiday Club have been working together for over five years.
During this time we've found TWHC to be a reliable, ethical, and completely above-board organisation, and furthermore, have a strong business relationship with. We strongly value the partnership between our two institutions and rely heavily on TWHC to provide our customers with an honest, and seamless customer experience.Our relationship extends across all retail brands within the Flight Centre Travel Group, including but not limited to Flight Centre, Student Flights, Escape Travel, and My Adventure Store.
Article to Read - How Not To Do It
Folks, my name is Sam. Here is a little story about my travels and what I did during my first six weeks in London. Take some time, grab a cup of tea, read this story and hopefully, you'll be able to avoid some of the mistakes I made.
Week 1 – Damage Week
When I finally made it to London, I was super excited. First, I figured out the London Underground, and then I did a little bit of sightseeing, and finally, I had some drinks with my homies. I spent, I spent, and I spent some more…
My living experience was interesting, I wanted to sleep on my friends couch because I was a little nervous coming over by myself. Couch surfing was fun and cheap; however, there were consequences. I got very little sleep and went to way too many parties. I ended up spending a lot of my savings joining in on the festivities of my housemates because I was asleep in the lounge. In the end, my experience with couch surfing wasn't the most comfortable. Sure, it was a lot of fun, but it did drain a lot of my funds.
Week 2 – Recovery Week
On Monday, my second week in London, everybody had gone back to work, and the party was over. I was left with a dreadfully messy house to clean. This was my contribution to being able to stay free. I suddenly realised that I had spent too much money way in my first week. I remembered going to the bank and seeing my statement and almost going into cardiac arrest!
After that, I knew I had to click into gear. I was home alone during the day; everyone was working, and it dawned on me that I was unemployed. Unemployed with a hangover! I had to start interviewing again, which I haven't done in such a long time. I found a TNT Magazine under the couch, bought every newspaper that had jobs in it and started seriously looking for work. I wasn’t worried about accommodation at this stage because I was still living for free.
Week 3 – Realisation Week
Funny things happened in week three. I had been job hunting for almost two weeks. I must have applied for 100 jobs. I tried to register with recruitment agencies, but as soon as they found out that I didn't have a bank account or my National Insurance Number, I wasn't eligible. I had tried three different banks before I was able to open an account. They kept rejecting me because I couldn't prove that I had a place to live in London!
I was spending a lot of money on my mobile phone, something I didn't even think about before I left home. My pay-as-you-go phone was running out of credit all the time. Probably most disappointing was the lack of feedback from my job applications. Looking back, the mistake I made was going for jobs that were paying the highest. I was so desperate to recoup the money I had spent. Looking back, I was declining entry-level jobs that were paying minimum wage, and in hindsight, I should have just taken SOMETHING to keep myself afloat.
By this point, I had begun to look for a room to rent. My biggest setback was my lack of references. The rooms I managed to view were unsuitable for me. They were either too expensive, or the deposit asked was too much because I had no job. The ones I could afford were miles from Central London.
Week 4, 5, 6 – Action Week
By my fourth week in London, I started to understand what was needed to get off the ground. I was focused on applying for work, which was reasonably comfortable and would start straight away. I took a waiting position. The hourly rate wasn't very good, about £5.75 an hour, but my tips made up for it, especially over the weekend. I started to feel a lot better, even though I needed to work two weeks in arrears for pay. I finally knew money was coming. My spirits were once again lifted. I managed to find a room through one of my friends, but unfortunately, I had to borrow money from Mom and Dad for my deposit.
I took a double room because it was the only one I could get. I paid £135 pounds a week for my room. By the time I got my wages, I was putting half off my salary towards rent. It took a while for me to find my feet and have some spare cash. Looking back, I should never have borrowed the money at the beginning of my trip to pay for my room deposits. It took me months to pay my parents back.
My travel plans were delayed by almost the year. This was later to became the biggest regret of my working holiday. I never travelled enough – I struggled to travel because I struggled with money. In the beginning, I over-spent, and then I over-extended myself with a room that I could not afford.
What Would I Have Done Differently, If I Could Do It Again?
I would have arrived in London with a minimum of $5,000. I would have used the Jumpstart London service for sure. I would have opted for cheaper rent and a room share instead of my room. I would have started work straight away. I would have had money to travel!
There's nothing worse than being that guy or that girl that's never left London. If I were to do it again, I would want to be the other person, the one with all the travelling stories. They're the one that says "No regrets". I now walk around and tell people... "Plan carefully, because some things you just will live to regret".
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the pay rate? Casual and contract staff pay rates range from £7.52– £8.21 per hour
- How does my hourly rate compare with other jobs in London? You will receive above the min wage rate, higher than some entry-level reception, retail, pub, call centre/telesales. There are higher paying jobs in London for candidates with the right experience and qualifications, and our team can help you get there! Use this job to get you on your feet, and start earning money quickly. You can also use this job as a backup plan at any time throughout your stay in London.
- Is there any other job on offer? Yes, but your success in landing another job will depend on your qualifications and experience. With our network of over 70 preferred recruitment agencies, your CV will be in the right hands. If you want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of London, we have live-in positions outside of London!
- Can I select I live? Housing options are always based on availability. Although we will accept preferences for location, room size (shared/single) and house size, these can't be guaranteed.
- What costs are involved in my staff accommodation? £200 holding the deposit, which is then offset against your final deposit. £15 key deposit. An average shared room is £85 - £100 (per person, per week), while average rent for a single occupancy room is £100+ (per person, per week). Both are fully inclusive of all bills.
- Can I book with my friend or partner? Yes, we will arrange a shared room for you; a double bed for couples or two singles for friends. We are also able to book larger groups. However, we cannot guarantee the entire group will be in the same house initially
- Can I leave the job and stay in my shared house? Yes, as long as you pay your weekly rent you are still entitled to remain in your shared house.
- Where is the accommodation located? West, South West, and East London, between Zones 2-4 (typically 20-30 mins by train to central London) and 5-10 minutes from a public transport link. Our housing is based in 3 main areas of London: South-West London (Putney, Fulham, Tooting Broadway/Tooting Bec & Wimbledon/South Wimbledon), East London (Stratford, Leyton & Leytonstone), West London (Hammersmith & Acton Town)
- What type of venues can I expect to work at? As part of the Jumpstart program, you will be a member of a dynamic Hospitality, Catering and Events team. This team is used to supporting the events teams in various five-star hotels in central London. These hotels host large scale corporate, charity, celebrity and private events. The majority of hotels are in Zone 1, central London.
- Do I require any previous hospitality experience? No, you will be given one full days training at a five-star hotel where you will learn everything you need to know to carry out your duties as part of the team!
- What happens if I do not pass my job application? If you have been declined because of grooming (long hair, visible tattoo’s, facial piercings), then you can still be offered job assistance. However, we cannot provide a pre-departure job guarantee. You will receive a refund.
- What are my options if I book and cancel due to personal reason? You do not receive a refund. However, you may either place it on hold for up to five years or find a replacement.
- I would like to book my package with a travel Agent. Please feel free to visit any Flight Centre or Student Flight Store in New Zealand or Australia
Created using Visme.
Created using Visme.
Created using Visme.
Created using Visme.
Created using Visme.
Created using Visme.
Created using Visme. Free Online Presentation Software.