Las Fallas Festival
14th - 19th March 2018
€ 195 weekend trip ride with us from Barcelona € 60 per day meet us there
Spain is famous for its unique and crazy street festivals, and this fiesta is one-of-a-kind. Las Fallas takes place in Valencia, a city of just 1 million inhabitants, but this increases to around 3 million flame-lovers during the event. Las Fallas is a celebration of the coming of spring. It is a festival to wish a jubilant bon voyage to winter, where locals bid farewell to those cold days and even colder nights by building giant ninots (puppets or dolls) out of cardboard, wood, paper machè and plaster, and then burn them to the ground. There are spectacular fireworks set off from every angle, and, of course, drinking sangria and dancing in the streets.
The ninots are made to look lifelike and usually fit in with current events, poking fun at Spanish politicians and celebrities. The massive structures are sometimes lifted into place by cranes on the day of la plantà or the rising, and they remain here until the 19th March, the day of the burning. Young men wander around the city with axes making little hard-to-spot holes in the ninots and stuffing them full of fireworks. Just before midnight the crowds in Valencia start to chant, the streetlights are turned off and finally at midnight the ninots are set on fire. What follows is an explosion of fireworks, roaring fires and full-on excitement.
- cabin-style accommodation,
- sleeping bags,
- hot hearty breakfast each morning and delicious dinner every night,
- nightly transfers to and from Las Fallas,
- experienced guides, unlimited beer and sangria available at the campsite for 10 euros per day,
- free shots and crazy drink deals at a central bar in Valencia every night – the pre-game for massive nights out during the Festival!!
- Choose to meet us there or ride round trip to and from Barcelona for the weekend!
- Where: Valencia, Spain
- When: 14th - 19th March 2018
- 16th - 19th March if you ride with us to Las Fallas
- How: Meet us there or take our private shuttle from Barcelona and join us for a Barcelona stay before or after too if you like.
- Age: Young at heart traveler 18+. Free trip if you bring your grandma
- Sleep: Cabin-style accommodation with sleeping bags provided
- Eat: Hot and hearty breakfasts each morning and delicious dinners every evening